Author: Elisabeth And Teije
|Share your experiences|
It has been only 2 months since we visited Scotland, but we are on our way again. Teije will start with a new job after this holiday, so we fear that we won't have very much time for more trips this year.
- 15 June 2002 - Groningen - Øksendrup, Odense
- 16 June 2002 - To Kopenhagen - via Malmö to Jälluntofta, Sweden
- 17 June 2002 - Jälluntofta - Nyköping , taking a long detour
- 18 June 2002 - Nyköping - Stockholm, via Trosa
- 19 June 2002 - From Turku to Helsinki
- 20 June 2002 - Helsinki - Jyväskylä, many woods
- 21 June 2002 - Jyväskylä - Oulu, and more woods
- 22 June 2002 - Oulu - Tornio (with a detour to Luleå, Sweden)
- 23 June 2002 - Tornio - Ivalo, we pass the Arctic Circle near Rovaniemi
- 24 June 2002 - Ivalo - Norway, through northern Finland
- 25 June 2002 - North Cape - Alta (via Hammerfest)
- 26 June 2002 - Alta, searching for the canyon
- 27 June 2002 - Alta - Krokelvdalen, we visit Tromsø
- 28 June 2002 - Krokelvdalen - Sortland on the Vesterålen
- 29 June 2002 - To the Lofoten (Laukvik)
- 30 June 2002 - Driving the Lofoten from north to south
- 1 July 2002 - From the Lofoten to Fauske
- 2 July 2002 - Fauske - Namsos, crossing the arctic circle
- 3 July 2002 - Namsos - Oppdal (via Trondheim)
- 4 July 2002 - Oppdal - Loen (stave churches, Geirangerfjord)
- 5 July 2002 - Loen - Øvre Årdal, Jostedalsbre glacier
- 6 July 2002 - Øvre Årdal - Oslo - Skarnes
- 7 July 2002 - Back to Denmark
- 8 July 2002 - Safari park at Givskud, Århus
- 9 July 2002 - The homeward journey to wet Holland
26 June 2002 - Alta, searching for the canyon
We want to sleep late, but we can't with the light outside, although we have tried to keep out the light by covering the windows with blankets and towels. But sleeping late is something to do at home, on a day off, not in the holidays, we agree. So, early in the morning we hit the road again to explore the environment of Alta. First we drive to the south, until Katokeino. Especially near Alta this road is fantastic, through a small valley between high ridges; it is just a small canyon. But later on the day we want to visit the 'real' Norwegian canyon, so we spare our pictures for that moment.
The further southward we drive, the more boring the landscape becomes. At Katokeino we take a side-road, unpaved, but the landscape doesn't change so we decide to drive back. Before Alta we try some small unpaved roads to go to the east, searching for the famous canyon and we find all sorts of waterfalls and several slate quarries.
But despite all the beauty we always end on impassable roads, barriers on the roads and dead ends. The Alta Canyon is supposed to be near the Hydro-electric powerstation and well-known, but at the tourist information at Alta they know nothing and we try every road on our map. We search for almost 6 hours but except for the beautiful sceneries we don't find the canyon.
Norwegians still have a lot to learn to promote tourism, that is quite obvious. Cut off roads and a lack of direction signs don't make it easier to find a place.
After a 10 hour drive we quit our search for Norway's most well-known canyon. We have done our best and we have seen many interesting and beautiful places. We are glad we have a few hours left to enjoy our luxurious apartment. By mobile phone we hear that it is cold in Holland and raining; but we are sitting in T-shirt, outside, far north of the arctic circle.
Date: 3/23/2008 2:54:00 AM
Snx for you job! It has very much helped me!