Author: Elisabeth And Teije
|Share your experiences|
Finally, we leave southern Spain and enter Portugal, the target of our trip. But it is a habit of us to encounter interesting things along the way, so it always takes more time to arrive somewhere than we plan. This time we encountered the Archeodrome in France, Andorra because Teije wants to visit that country, Barcelona because we both want to see it, especially the buildings made by Gaudi, Cordoba because we are in the neighbourhood and the same is true about Gibraltar.
But we have reached Portugal on the 9th day of our holiday. Friends of ours (a Portuguese man and a Dutch woman) have recently moved to Portugal, so we have decided to visit them, also. They live in Albufeira, so there we go first.
- 18 June 2001 - To Albufeira, Portugal
- 19 June 2001 - Exploring Albufeira
- 20 June 2001 - Albufeira and to the beach
- 21 June 2001 - To the Monchique mountains
- 22 June - A quiet day at Albufeira
- 23 June 2001 - To Lagos and Portimão
- 24 June 2001 - A quiet day at Albufeira
- 25 June 2001 - Along the coast to Sagres
- 26 June 2001 - A cruise along the coast of the Algarve
- 27 June 2001 - The neighbourhood of Albufeira
- 28 June 2001 - From the Algarve to Lisbon
- 29 June 2001 - Lisbon
- 30 June 2001 - On our own through Lissabon
- 1 July 2001 - From Lisbon to Praia da Mira
- 2 July 2001 - Mira, Aveiro
- 3 July 2001 - To Casfreires near Satão
- 4 July 2001 - Viseu and the Serra da Estrella
- 5 July 2001 - Exploring the neighbourhood of Satão
- 6 July 2001 - A visit to Coimbra and Conimbriga
- 7 July 2001 - A last quiet day at Casfreires
- 8 July 2001 - Back to France
- 9 July 2001 - From south to northern France
- 10 July 2001 - The trip back home
20 June 2001 - Albufeira and to the beach
Again, we have an appointment with Monique who wants to show us more pretty places. In the beginning it is somewhat confusing with all the building that is taking place. One moment we think we were kilometers out of town and then we discover it is only another new quarter.
She takes us home to show her house and to the souvenir shop were she works (more than 40 hours a week with little money. But that still makes Portugal so cheap for tourists!).
Monique has to get back to work and we first drive back to our tent to have a rest. It is allright when we stay in the shadow, but in the sun it is really very hot and we spill a lot of water to keep ourselves cool.
After this pause we get into our car and make a long drive through the neighbourhood. Then we go to the beach since it is 40° Celsius or more and stay there for a couple of hours. We are not really beach-people but with these temperatures one doesn't have much choice. Taking a book with us, we really enjoy it.
Monique has shown us a very pretty and quiet beach, only known to the locals. And there we stay, hour after hour, in the bright sun. Of course we can stand the sun...
Elisabeth has burned her skin rather badly and at night, having a meal, she is getting really sick: a cold fever, nauseous, unmistakable she has a sunstroke. It becomes a very difficult night for her with fever, a highly aching skin and nausea. We have warned her...
No review available for this travelogue