Monument to France (Spomenik zahvalnosti Francuskoj)
The monument has been erected in 1930 as a symbol ... More of gratefulness to France for the aid it had given Serbia in World War I. It was designed by Ivan Meštrovic.
Memorial of the surrendering of the keys of the Belgrade Fortress (Spomen obeleje predaje kljuceva Beogradske tvrdave)
It is located at the place where, in 1867 the Sultan's order was read stating that the Fortress had to be turned over to prince Mihailo Obrenovic and to the Serbian Army.
The Belgrade Fortress stands on the hill overlooking the mouth of the river Sava. It was gradually built, torn down and rebuilt from the first to the 18th century as a fortified defence complex. Today the Fortress is a specific museum of Belgrade history.
The first settler of the territory of present day Belgrade date back to four thousand years B.C. and nearby Vinca is a prehistoric location with remains of prehistoric man (neolithic plastics).
The oldest known name for Belgrade is Singidunum, a compound word probably made of the name of the Dacian tribe called Singi and the Celtic word dunum, which means fortress. This interpretation ... More is based on the belief that the name of the settlement came about when the Celts migrated here and mixed with the indigenous population.
The conquering Romans maintained the name of the settlement. With the division of the Roman Empire in 395, Singidunum passed over to the Eastern Empire and became Singidon.
In the 6th century, Slavs gradually started settling in the area. The stone built fortress rising above the rivers was dubbed Beli Grad (white city). The name Beograd is officially mentioned for the first time in 878 by Pope John VIII.
Between the 16th and 19th century Belgrade is referred to with various names in different languages: Alba Graeca, Alba Bulgarica, Bello grado, Nandor Alba, Griechisch Weissenburg, and Castelbianco. However, all these names are translations of the Slavic word Beograd.
Your contribution can be useful for other tourists
More Travel Guides in Serbia:
Kragujevac (About 24.5 mi)
More information Serbia:
|Kragujevac - 24.5 mi|
Kragujevac is the fourth biggest city of Serbia and is located on the coasts of the Lepenica River. It is the major city and administrative centre of the Sumadija province. The city...
|Novi Sad - 43.5 mi|
Novi Sad is Serbia’s second largest city and the capital of the northern Vojvodina Province. It is situated on the banks of the Danube River. The city doesn’t have an...