Port Glasgow is located at 55.9325ºN, 4.6796 ºW. Because of its topography with steep slopes it was created as a port in the middle of the 17th century. It is the first port of its kind in Scotland. As per the census there were 16,617 people in the city. Before its official name Port Glasgow it was known as Newark .This place was named so, because the City of Glasgow had purchased the Newark Bay as a harbour in the year 1668. The grid Iron layout is still the main town centre since 1693. As the town expanded; it covered most of the steep inlands. The major areas of this inland were named as Boglestone, Devol and Park Farm. This town also has a railway transportation facility run by Port Glasgow Railways. Port Glasgow was not only famous for its port but was the production house of boats in large scale. A commercial steam vessel known as Comet was built in the town in the year 1812.They were producing one third of the boats that float through river Clyde. At present Ferguson Shipbuilders yard is the only private owned shipyard in Scotland.
Your contribution can be useful for other tourists
More Travel Guides in United Kingdom:
More information United Kingdom:
One of the council area of Scotland is a peninsula called as Fife. It is bordered by the Firth of Forth towards the south, by the North Sea towards the east and by the Firth of Tay...
On the east coast of Scotland in Fife, Kirkcaldy is a town. It is bounded by Glenrothes towards the north, Edinburgh towards the south, Leven towards the east and Dunfermline...