The Khas Mahal is a section of the Red Fort. This monument was constructed completely out of marble by Shah Jahan in 1637. The Khas Mahal means the Private Palace.
The characteristics of this monument are distinctly Islamic and Persian. There are three pavilions that overlook the river Yamuna. Opposite the central pavilion, there is a fountain.
The central pavilion is very airy and was used by the Emperor for sleeping purpose. This pavilion has three arches on each side and five arches at the front. From the roof there are two turrets.
The Khas Mahal overlooks the Angoori Bagh or grape garden. It has two golden (copper) pavilions. One of these was made of white marble and decorated with gold leaf.
The other was made of red stone and was used by outstanding ladies of the harem. The Khas Mahal is a very triumphant illustration of painting on a white marble background.
The windows are closed by intricately perforated decorated stone screens called as jali. From these windows, it is possible to have an impressive view of the riverfront.
The best time to visit the Khas Mahal is from November to February. It is open on all days of the week from 6 am to 5:30 pm.