Wat Naphrameru Ayutthaya - Monuments and Historic Buildings
Wat Nephrameru is situated near the banks of Klong Muang. It is the only temple in Ayutthaya which is still being used as a working-temple and also the only temple which survived the invasion of the Burmese.
The temple was built during the kingship of Ramathibodhi II, in 1503. It has since then witnessed many historically important events within its premises, such as a treaty between the Burmese king and King Maha Chakkraphat in 1760.
The temple houses a spectacular sitting Buddha statue which stands at 18 feet and is covered fully in golden leaf. It is considered as the largest and most-beautifully decorated Buddha idol in whole of Ayutthaya.
The calm and serene look on the Buddha’s face is soothing and mesmerizing. As the evening approaches, this elegant temple is fully lit by bright lamps, giving it an out of the world look. The visit to ancient city of Ayutthaya is simply incomplete without visiting this place.