The Doveton House in Chennai was constructed by the famous architect Benjamin Roebeck in the year 1798.
There are pillars in the front region and half moon steps at the back of the Senate House which resemble the colonial style and evoke the memories of the White House, as it is similarly built.
At the beginning, the Doveton House was a residential building where English officers stayed on their visit to Chennai. Also, the Gaekwad of Baroda was kept in custody here as he attempted to kill a British resident in his state.
The name Doveton House was coined when Lieutenant General John Doveton took charge of the building in 1837. After Doveton, this house was used as a prison where British officials kept the prisoners in custody.
The last person to live here was a High Court Judge, Sir Ralph Benson. In 1916, this place became the Women’s Christian College.