Currently, Fort St George is used for the Tamil Nadu Secretariat and the Legislative Assembly.
This structure resembles a mansion rather than a fort. There are solid foundation walls and huge gates.
This monument has one of the oldest British churches in India, called as the St Mary’s and this was built in 1680. In the northern compound, there is a lighthouse constructed in the year 1844.
Another lighthouse was constructed in the year 1971. In this fort, there is a museum where there are portraits of the British high officials of the past and some archives of the British occupation in India.
The significance of Fort St George is that it marks the start of a new city, Madras in 1640.