Chowmahalla Palace in Hyderabad
The Chowmahalla Palace in Hyderabad extends from the Laad Bazaar in the north to the Aspan Chowk road in the south. Formerly, this palace covered 45 acres out of which only 12 are extant.
Chow means four and mahal means palace thus Chowmahalla means four palaces. In 1750, the construction of this palace was started by Nizam Salabhat Jung however the final completion occurred only during 1857 to 1869 under Nizam Afzar-ud-Dawla Bahadur.
This palace complex is a copy of the Shah’s palace in Teheran in Iran. Currently this palace consists of two courtyards with elegant palaces, gardens, fountains and the grand Khilwat or the Durbar Hall.
The oldest part of this palace is being restored and is made up of four palaces the Aftab Mahal, the Tahniyat Mahal, the Mahtab Mahal and the Afzal Mahal. Out of these, the grandest is the Aftab Mahal which is a two storied building that has a European front portion of Corinthian columns.