The Paradesi Synagogue in Kochi is also called as the Mattancherry Synagogue or the Cochin Jewish Synagogue.
This is the oldest synagogue in the Commonwealth of Nations. The Cochin Jewish community or the Malabar Yehudan people constructed this structure in 1568.
In several Indian languages, ‘Paradesi’ means ‘foreigners.’ This word is used for naming this synagogue as it was used by ‘White Jews’ who are a mix of Jews from European exiles, the Middle East and Cranganore.
This structure is part of the Old Cochin town referred to as the Jew Town. This synagogue is adjacent to and shares a common wall with the Mattancherry Palace.
In this synagogue are many gold coins received as gifts, a brass-railed pulpit, the Scrolls of the Law and several Belgian glass chandeliers. One can also find the copper plates of privileges that have been given to Joseph Rabban.