Flora Fountain in Mumbai
Flora Fountain is a stone fountain that is situated in the Fort Business district in South Mumbai.
This was constructed in 1864 and named after the Roman Goddess of Flowers – Flora. The Agri-Horticultural society of Western India built this structure, which was designed by R. Norman Shaw.
It is made completely of imported Portland stone. The total expenditure for its construction amounted to 1100 USD (Rs. 47000) in 1864.
At the beginning, it was planned to name this fountain after Sir Bartle Frere, the governor of Mumbai at the time it was built.
However, just before its inauguration, it was finalized to alter its name.
In 1960, the square where the fountain is constructed was named as Martyr’s Square or “Hutatma Chowk.” Flora Fountain was regarded as a heritage structure that soothes the passers-by with water.
Currently, there is a coat of white oil paint over this fountain.