The Government Central Museum is one of the oldest and most popular museum in Jaipur. This was constructed in 1876 under the supervision of Lt. Swinton Jacob a British army officer.
During this period Maharaja Ram Singh was the king of Jaipur and he intended that this structure must be utilized as a town hall but his successor Madho Singh finalized to use this building as an art museum.
Currently this museum is open from 10:30 am to 4:30 pm and has a large collection of miniature paintings from Jaipur, Udaipur, Kota, Bundi and Kishangarh schools of painting.
One can also see excellent specimens of metal objects, woodwork and some other crafts and arts as well as the old traditional ceremonial dresses of royal persons. There are also several sculptures and pottery objects.