Lalbagh Botanical Garden in Bangalore
Lalbagh Botanical Garden is just 4 kms away from MG road in Bangalore, in the southern part of the city. It is considered to be one of the richest.
The ruler of Mysore, Hyder Ali commissioned the development of the garden in 1760. However, this garden was completed by Hyder’s son, Tipu Sultan.
The area of this garden is 240 acres on which there are more than 1,000 species of flora.
The main attraction of the Garden is the Glass House. This has been modeled as per the Crystal Palace in London.
There are several flower shows in this garden, including the one held on the Republic Day of India (26th January).
After Hyder Ali gave this garden a start, Tipu Sultan added to the glory of this garden by importing plants and trees from various countries.
Till the 18th century, these gardens had the biggest collection of rare plants and the first lawn-clock in India was procured.