Bandel in Calcutta
The word Bandel has originated from the Bengali word “Bandar” which means port. Thus, this place may have been the port of Hooghly during the era of the Mughals and the Portuguese.
The structures related to the Portuguese are the Church and the monastery. These are almost 2 kilometers away from the Bandel station. The current monastery and church are constructed by Gomez de Soto in 1660.
Gomez had the key stone related to the old church that had the date 1599 above the eastern gate of the monastery. There is a ship’s mast in front of the Church.
This ship had to face a storm in the Bay of Bengal and it is believed that it was saved by the grace of Virgin, which is the center of attraction.
So, the captain of the ship presented this mast to the Church. In the midst of the Church, there is a statue related to “One lady of Happy Voyage.”
The church has many tomb stones, a small organ and three altars.