O’Connell Street is the main thoroughfare in Dublin City and is known to be one of the widest streets in Europe. The street was also known by the name, ‘Sackville Street’ until 1924. Dublin Corporation renamed it in honor of Daniel O’Connell, a nationalist leader of early 19th century. His statue stands at the lower end of the street, and faces O’Connell Bridge. The G.P.O is the building which dominates the center of this street. The first bridge near the street was built in 1794, namely the Carlisle Bridge. After the Civil War, the street became the venue for another battle. There are three statues at the street.