Vicolo Canonica, 4, Lecco (LC), Lombardy / Lago di Lecco, Italy
Ballisca San Nicola is situated in a beautiful town of Lecco surrounded by mountains. The Ballisca the main church of the city, dedicated to St. Nicholas, patron saint of sailors. It is considered to be the most important building of the town that dominates the village from the perch on the slopes above the lake. The interior is worth visiting for it’s beautifully decorated with frescoes, depicts historic scenes from forty medallions of saints and evangelical bishops and polished in golden leaf enclosing its visitors in golden light. With its 96 meters of height, the tower has become the symbol of the city. The only remaining part of the original thirteen-century church is its chapel of Baptistery. The present look of this historic building was designed exclusively by Joseph Bovara from 1831 to 1862.