The fort of Saint Andrew is also called Castelnuovo. It stands on a strip of land facing towards the port of San Nicolò al Lido. The fort was designed by architect Michele Sanmicheli in 1543. There is a plaque on the front of the tower commemorating the Battle of Lepanto. In 1743 Giacomo Casanova was imprisoned at this fort. The fort served as defense station in old times.