The Cappella degli Scrovegni, dedicated to Saint Mary of Charity, was built between 1303 and 1305 by Enrico Scrovegni, a very rich banker who lived in Padua.
Its walls are decorated by the Florentine painter Giotto.
Under a starry vault Giotto painted 40 scenes which have a common theme: the salvation. It starts with God reconciling to men and it goes on representing Mary’s history. It ends on Jesus’ life and the Holy Spirit falling on Apostles.