Sopot Monuments and Historic Buildings: St. George’s Church in Sopot
HeaderPageTitle-GetPartialViewNoCache = 0,0010008
Rank 8# on 12
number of ratings 0
Built in 1901, St. George’s Church in Sopot is situated in the city’s former market place on Konstytucji 3 Maja Street and was designed by architect L. von Tiedermann. Up until the end of World War II, the church was Evangelist, but was reincorporated to a Catholic church after 1945.
The church was first funded by Kaiser Wilhelm II, with his wife, the empress Augusta Victoria, having attended the consecration ceremony herself. The church’s tower can be seen from miles away and from the Bay of Gdansk.
Inside the church, there is a figure of the Holy Mary of Czestochowa, which until 1971 was on board the Polish transatlantic liner, the Batory. Guided tours of the church are available.