Sigismund Column was erected in 1644 and is situated in Castle Square, Warsaw. Known as one of the most famous landmarks in Warsaw, it is one of the oldest secular monuments in northern Europe.
The column and the statue commemorate King Sigismund III Vasa, who in 1596 had moved the capital of Poland from Krakow to Warsaw. This Corinthian column is made of red marble and is 8.5 metres high, with the sculpture of the King being 2.75 metres high.
The king is dressed in armor and has a cross in one hand and wields a sword in the other hand. This column is one of the oldest secular monuments of Europe.