Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw
Quickly built, between 1952 and 1955, in the heart of the Cold War, the Palace of Culture and Science was the symbol of the Socialist culture, demanded by Stalin to embellish the Capital. It is impossible not to be surprised by its majesty: it is 242 metres high and, because of its proportions, among the highest skyscrapers of the entire globe. Inside, there are two theatres, a cinema, a congress hall, but also a swimming pool and some museums. Its 3000 rooms are a disproportion if we think that during the building works, Warsaw was carrying evident signs of destruction linked with the recent war, and the need of houses was extremely strong.