Temple of the Royal Restoration in Ayutthaya
Wat Ratchaburana is situated on the eastern banks of the River Nan and is near Wat Mahathat to the south.
King Borommarachathirat II built the temple in 1424 as a memoir to his deceased father King Nakharintharathirat. After the King’s death, his two sons Chao Yi and Chao Ay fought a single battle on the back of elephants and met with death.
The third son, King Borommarachathirat II, then erected two stupas to keep in the temple premises to preserve their ashes.
In 1957, robbers tried to scavenge the treasures in the crypt by digging for it. The local police intervened and arrested most of them.
Afterwards, the Fine Arts Department took over the work of excavation and many gold artifacts and Buddha Images were found.
Several murals too were discovered. Most of them were taken to the local museum, Chao Sam Phraya National Museum, where they are kept for public display.