Botanical Garden in Birmingham
Spread over 15 acres of land, the Birmingham Botanical Gardens & Glasshouses is a haven of enchantment.
J. C. Loudon in 1832 planned these gardens, and the terrace from where the finest view of the garden is visible is named after him.
The gardens are a display of nature and plants at their best. The splendour, harmony and serenity of the gardens have a very relaxing effect on the visitors.
The Bandstand on the main lawn is more of an amphitheatre and an attractive picnic spot in good weather.
There is also a red-brick cottage behind the large playground, housing old plants that have been forgotten by the majority of people.
The Tropical House is a glasshouse which is home to plants from tropical regions. The hot and humid atmosphere maintained here allows the growth of a wide variety of tropical plants.
The Palm House is a subtropical glasshouse, rising to 8 meters at its highest point and housing subtropical trees and smaller plants.
There is also the Mediterranean House which houses the Mediterranean shrubs and the Arid House, housing cactus and other arid region plants.