It was once an industrial as well as a religious center. The main function of the Abbey was iron smelting, mineral extraction, woodland industries and mills on the river Sheaf. In 1537 it was dissolved and the estate became the property of Sir Nicholas Strelley. In 1923 the estate was purchased by Mr. Frank Crawshaw and he sold the estate for housing development and much was presented to Sheffield Corporation. It consists of a church, Cloisters, the Chapter house, Dormitory and Refectory.