Albert Dock in Liverpool
The Albert Dock, also known simply as the Dock, is the port area of Liverpool and includes warehouses and depots made of cast iron, brick and stone. It is considered to be the largest grouping of buildings in England. It was inaugurated in 1846, having been built to the design of Jesse Hartley and Philip Hardwik and commissioned by Prince Albert.
In a few years the dock became the symbol of the city of Liverpool and its importance as a port and depository of highly valuable materials. These included tea, tobacco, ivory, silk, sugar, brandy and cotton, which were unloaded and shipped to and from ports around the world. It was used during World War II as a base for the British fleet and it sustained heavy damage during the Blitz.
Today it’s a very busy area, both tourists and locals come here, it’s full of shops, restaurants and trendy bars. At the dock you’ll also find the Tate Modern Gallery and Merseyside Maritime Museum.
The Albert Dock is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.