The St. Louis Cathedral and Cemetery situated at Jackson Square in New Orleans, was a Roman Catholic Church founded in 1729.
The cathedral was destroyed in a fire two times, but was rebuilt in 1794.
On the right of the structure is a Pirates alley which leads to a beautiful garden behind the cathedral and to the left is the Faulkner House where the artist Faulkner wrote his novel ‘A soldier’s Pay’.
The cathedral has historical significance as it is believed that Andrew Jackson laid his sword on the altar of the cathedral for his victory in the battle in New Orleans and Pope John Paul II also visited this place.
The interior of the church has serene surroundings with a number of murals, symbolic decorations in Renaissance style and ornately coloured glass windows displaying the life of King Louis IX of France who later was made a saint.