John Bowne House, the oldest house in Queens, was built by John Bowne in 1661. In 1947, a museum was opened in this house. The house was the location of a Quaker meeting in 1662.The house is a wood frame English colonial saltbox, notable for its steeply pitched roof with three dormers. In 1945, Bowne family handed over the house to the Bowne Historical Society. The Bowne House is reported to have been used as a stop on the Underground Railroad during the years preceding the Civil War.