The Mission Santa Clara de Asis is named in the honour of Clare of Assisi and was established on January 12th 1777. The place was rebuilt six times and is still inhabited. The mission was first built as La Misión Santa Clara de Thamien in the honour of a woman. This mission was rebuilt in 1928 as a part of the University Campus. It was California’s first college in 1851.