Wood Street was devoted to orange groves until 1913. Its proximity and easy access to the downtown area made this area more desirable for residential subdivision. A subdivider named Wood used his name as a suffix to a street name, and so began a series. Wood Streets offers perhaps the most cohesive neighborhood design to be found in the City of Riverside. The street and neighborhood designs reflect a traditional aesthetic sense.