The Catedral de San Ildefonso is situated in Merida, Yucatan and is the oldest cathedral in Mexico. Built over an ancient Mayan temple, the construction of this site started in 1561, through initiative taken by Bishop Toral Fray. The cathedral was dedicated to San Ildefonso, and is the headquarters of the Archdiocese of Yucatan. The cathedral building has three naves, two laterals and one central. There are three chapels and one sacristy. Initially, there were five chapels, though they got demolished, and presently there are two towers of Moorish style. The dome is decorated with arch piers.