Chao Sam Phraya Museum in Ayutthaya
The Chao Sam Phraya National Museum is situated on Rochana Road, opposite the city wall, in the Pratoochai sub-district. It is the 2nd largest museum in Thailand which was opened to the public in 1970.
The original construction of the museum began in 1959 with the money obtained from Buddha slabs, which were discovered at Wat Ratchaburana. Phra Borom Rachathirat II, known mainly as Chao Samphraya, is credited for overlooking the construction of the museum. The museum’s name is tribute to this visionary.
The museum displays a grand collection of several Buddha images, gold jewelry, antique paintings and carved panels which date back to about five-hundred years.
A substantial collection of local artifacts is also contained within the museum. Many of these artifacts and antiques are made of gold and decorated with precious jewels.