×
Notice
This website or its third-party tools use cookies, which are necessary to its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in the cookie policy.
If you want to know more or withdraw your consent to all or some of the cookies, please refer to the cookie policy.
By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree to the use of cookies.
To accept | Read more
HeaderMain-GetPartialViewNoCache = 0,003003
HeaderContext-GetPartialViewNoCache = 0,0010009
HeaderBreadcrumb-GetPartialViewNoCache = 0,0010013
AdvValica-GetPartialView = 0,0010008

Culture of Turkey and Geography: usueful information  

HeaderPageTitle-GetPartialViewNoCache = 0,0010008

The region (then Anatolia) was at the centre of the Byzantine Empire and its capital, Constantinople, remained the greatest city in the world for at least 2000 years. The country suffered a defeat during World War I and witnessed the breakdown of the Ottoman Empire. It was from these remnants that Turkey was created in the year 1923. Shortly thereafter, the country became a democracy and also joined the UN in 1945. Introduction into NATO followed in the year 1952.

The Turks are sensitive of their heritage and proud of their culture. The younger generation is often well-dressed and have a global outlook to life.

Turkey is a big country that lies at the crossroads of East and West, both politically and geographically. 3% of its land is in Europe, separated from the remaining 97% Asian part by the Turkish Straits. Greece and Bulgaria border the country in the northwest, Georgia and Armenia in the northeast, Iraq and Syria to the southeast and Iran in the east. The Mediterranean Sea is in the south while the Black Sea and Aegean Sea lie in the north and the west respectively.

The region is more of a plateau with several mountain ranges, the highest point being Mount Arafat at 5100 m.

ContentInfoPageDetail-GetPartialView = 0,0040039
AdvValica-GetPartialView = 0,0010008
ContentListPageList-GetPartialView = 0,003003

The most popular guides

16
LANDMARKS AND HISTORIC SITES
7
STREETS, SQUARES AND NEIGHBOURHOODS
6
NIGHTLIFE
5
BARS
4
MUSEUMS
GuideListAggregateByDestination-GetPartialView = 0,2354341
VideoListGuideNewsletter-GetPartialView = 0,0010013
VideoListGuideNewsletter-GetPartialView = 0
AdvValica-GetPartialView = 0,0010008
Gallery_3xN_Small-GetPartialView = 0,2112121

Search for offers in Turkey

HotelSearch-GetPartialView = 0,003003
AdvValica-GetPartialView = 0

Travellers' choice

AttractionListBest_1xN-GetPartialView = 0,024023
JoinUs-GetPartialView = 0,0020021
AdvValica-GetPartialView = 0,0010004
AdvValica-GetPartialView = 0
Footer-GetPartialView = 0,0020022
AdvValica-GetPartialView = 0
AdvValica-GetPartialView = 0,0010008